Sunday, July 7, 2013

Empties: June 2013

Moving into the 2nd half of the year, my inventory is looking much much more manageable. 

When I first started the monthly Empties post last year, I was so hopeful thinking I could substantially downsize the beauty pile by this time of the year. I'm not quite where I expected but I'm getting there.

My purchases have been really minimal, rarely impulsive or compulsive. Staple items are also emerging and I am finally able to make a list of products which work for me.

Sometimes the best products for your skin might not be the most expensive or heavily advertised *looks at sukin foaming cleanser lovingly*. I've tried my fair share of luxury products, some work to a certain extent- others just caused me irritation no matter how many times I attempted after my skin cleared up *evil eyes at SK-II essence*.

In the shower..
1. Aesop Rose Hair & Scalp Moisturizing Masque [500ml // MYR310]
Recommended by Ally, gifted by my sister. I like the scent which isn't full on rose but mixed with other plants, and also that I could use it as a scalp treatment. It didn't leave my scalp oily nor weigh my hair down. I find that it doesn't leave the hair silky smooth (as expected from a plant-based hair product) but it does feel nourished and bouncy. I still have a 120ml tube to go through but am not sure if I would repurchase. Like, not love.

2. Clarins Smoothing Body Scrub [200ml]

3. Crabtree & Evelyn Bath & Shower Gel [50ml]

4. Soap & Glory Clean Girls Body Wash [500ml] LOVE the scent and packaging from this brand! Not a "natural" brand but I like their body products, not harsh nor drying. This really has a lovely scent! Their price point is a plus too.

5. Joico Silk Result Shampoo & 6. Conditioner 

Mostly Clarins..
7. Clarins Gentle Refiner
8. Carole Franck Clay Mask
9. Clarins White Plus Gentle Brightening Exfoliator
10. Clarins Pearl-to-Cream Brightening Cleanser  
11. Clarins Whitening Pure Aqua Lotion [200ml]
12. Clarins Iris Toning Lotion [50ml] I rarely use this on its own, instead mixing it with the Lotus Face Oil, works wonders for my congested sensitive skin.
13. Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser with Tamarind
14. Clarins Skin Beauty Repair Concentrate I wish I had known about this product earlier! A must have SOS item in my stash currently and fully approved by Caroline Hirons. LOVE! Have gotten a bottle already!
15. Clarins BB Cream I've tried quite a number of BB creams- Korean versions (skin79, Dr. G, etc.) as well as Western versions (Garnier, Maybelline..) but this is in a class of its own. I LOVE IT! The colour matches my skintone perfectly and the coverage is the best I have tried. I dare say it is better than most foundations I have previously used and I don't even need a concealer with this. I use this over my moisturizer and set with loose powder, just as I would with a foundation. It is long lasting, has an SPF40, doesnt irritate my sensitive skin and is SO comfortable to wear. I have also purchased a bottle already and am considering getting the jumbo size. Seriously, if you have sensitive, acne-prone skin and need the coverage but still looking natural and moisturized please try this. This has effectively replaced my foundations!
16. Aesop Bitter Orange Astringent [200ml] This toner works well on oily skintypes, but now that my skin is balanced, I have found it to be drying. 
17. Clarins Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate
18. Clarins Instant Eye Makeup Remover LOVE!! Not the cheapest in the market but definitely the best performing. Removes waterproof and long-lasting liners like a dream. Chanel is good, but lost out due to price point; Helena Rubenstein is good too but not readily available in KL; Lancome stings my eyes; and I find Bobbi Brown drying. Would definitely repurchase and totally recommend!
19. Clarins Renew-Plus Body Serum ANOTHER LOVE PRODUCT BUT NO COMMENTS TODAY AS I HAVE BEEN SINGING TOO MANY OF CLARINS' PRAISES IN THIS POST ALONE!!

I am really taken by quite a few of Clarins' products and I say it in an unbiased way. Some of their products really work well for me and I appreciate that they are plant-based which is much better for my sensitive skin.

Hand creams..
20. Cath Kidston Honeysuckle Hand Cream [30ml] Out of the 3 scents available, I like this best and am actually hooked on it (the scent, not the cream). Makes me want to purchase a Honeysuckle-based perfume.

21. Clarins Hand and Nail Treatment Cream [30ml] One of the best handcreams I've tried, absorbs quickly and leaves the hands soft. However, the scent is not for everyone. My sister finds it offensive and has banned me from using this when she is around.

22. Etude House Mini Anti-germ Hand Lotion [30ml]

23. di palomo White Grape with aloe Hand & Body Lotion


24. Anna Sui LOVE EDT This scent will always remind me of my first year at college, the early morning classes, the people I met then.. it was one of the first few perfumes which my mother had gifted me. I stopped using it a long long time ago but I held on to it for sentimental value. About 1/3 of the bottle was left; the scent remains unchanged (surprisingly) so I used it up as a bathroom spray.

25. Clarins Par Amour Toujours EDT I actually really like this; soft, delicate but fresh. Lasting power isn't very strong, by mid-day it will start to fade. It is a limited edition from many years back as well but I still see a few floating around on eBay. Might try to purchase one there.

26. L'Occitane White Blossoms Scented Candle 100g

27. Guerlain Meteorites Perles Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer

28. Yves Saint Laurent YSL Radiant Brush Foundation This is a excellent foundation, great coverage and though scented it never gave my sensitive skin any problems. It comes with a brush head which works quite well but my only gripe is that I had to wash the brush applicator quite often as I am a bit of a germaphobe. Will not be repurchasing anytime soon as I have replaced my foundations with an excellent BB cream (above).

Total January - June: 145!!!

Previous Empties:
January
February
March
April
May

No comments:

Post a Comment